What Does A Crime Writer Think About?

Posted on | Friday, January 6, 2012 | No Comments

I get this one a lot. Mostly from my alternate egos but occasionally from a voice outside my head. I can be quite honest with my alter egos that I think about death quite often and how people die. It's the voices outside of my head that are the problem. How do I explain my penchant for the morbid and morose, that's it part and parcel of why I dig and write crime fiction?

You can start breathing now, death is not all crime writers think about (well, this one, at least). I think about life quite a bit too and what motivates people to live it or end it and why. At the end of the day,  the 'why' is always more important than the 'what'. Why did she jump off a cliff? Why did he bury his best friend alive? Why did she fight for her life until the end?

The 'why' is what drives me to write. I confess, I'm a bit of a last-minute person, so I don't always know where my story is going or what my characters are going to do next. But that is part of the fun! Nothing in life is set in stone, neither do I believe is fiction. In real life and fiction, the 'why' is the best part of the journey. It gives meaning to both worlds and the people who inhabit them.

In short, thinking about life and death does not have to be morbid or depressing, not if you fundamentally see them as adventures, be it separate or one fabulous roller-coaster ride. There is beauty in both, and you don't have to be a writer to be able to see that.



Comments

Leave a Reply

Search This Blog

Followers