Family Ties (Chapter Seven)

Posted on | Sunday, February 26, 2012 | No Comments

Chapter Seven



"Ruben, please understand. It happened years before I met your father. I got pregnant during my last year at college. Nathan's father dropped me when I told him I was carrying his child. My parents sent me away to a home for single mothers and talked me into giving up the baby. I didn't have money or anywhere to go, so I gave in," his mother explained, eyes welling up with tears at the memory.


"Nathan didn't end up in a good home. His adopted father beat him and his mother. His adopted mother was struck with cancer last year, which was when he learned he was adopted. After she died, he moved here to look for me and took a job as a gardener to be close to me," she added, stroking the unconscious man's hair.


"How did Uncle find out?" Seth interrupted.


"He must have suspected the moment he saw Nathan, the resemblance to my father was too strong. He remarked this to me one day when we were alone in the house. I told him everything. He was furious, he said he was going to fire Nathan and divorce me. I couldn't let that happen," she said, her expression hardening.


"Mother, don't say another word," Ruben said quickly.


"Ruben, she has already confessed. She must have slipped the poisoned coffee powder in on Wednesday morning after breakfast, just before her sister picked her up. Am I not right, Aunty?" Seth asked.


"You'll never prove it," his aunt smiled smugly at him. "Your uncle was cremated and even if he wasn't, the poison is untraceable."


Seth looked at her grimly. "On the contrary Aunty, you and Nathan are going away for a long time." He unbuttoned his bloody shirt, revealing a tape recorder attached to a wire and tiny microphone taped to his chest. 


His aunt looked on in shock. She ran over to Ruben and held on to him. "Ruben, son, you mustn't believe him, I didn't mean for this to happen. I didn't know what else to do," she pleaded.


Tears streamed down Ruben's cheeks. "You had Nathan beat and tie us up in here like animals. How can I ever trust your words? Come mother, the police are waiting outside," he said gently, stroking her hair. 






 THE END


Comments

Leave a Reply

Search This Blog

Followers