The Greats On Writing and Life

Posted on | Thursday, July 28, 2011 | 4 Comments

While I'm contemplating digging into the durian sitting in the fridge, I thought to look up some of my favourite authors. Turns out they have plenty to say about life and the writing craft. Here are some of the more clever things they've said in the past:
Music is a good shorthand way to delineate character. If you want to tell the reader a lot about a character in a small space, just tell them what their musical taste is. You'll get their age, their background, whether they're gregarious or a loner.” -Ian Rankin

If from infancy you treat children as gods they are liable in adulthood to act as devils.”
P.D. JAMES, The Children of Men

What the detective story is about is not murder but the restoration of order.”- P.D. James

You can't get DNA results in 53 minutes.” Kathy Reichs

"A society gets the criminals it deserves." Val McDermid, Killing The Shadows.

While most of the things you've worried about have never happened, it's a different story with the things you haven't worried about. They are the ones that happen.” Ruth Rendell
It's criminal if successful authors don't support literacy. I challenge them all to write a check.” Patricia Cornwell

"There is nothing you can do about the past except keep it there." Michael Connelly, The Brass Verdict.

"You know what I did after I wrote my first novel? I shut up and wrote twenty-three more." Michael Connelly.

Comments

4 Responses to “The Greats On Writing and Life”

  1. Shereen
    July 28, 2011 at 5:50 PM

    Sharmila! Love the quotes! Will be an avid fan of your writings after this.. It seems we share the same passion (writing), but you're wayyy advanced then me! *I'm not worthy*... :D - at least now I have extra reading material to read!

    ps/ my blog has a different ring to it -esp this month's entries which are a wee bit close to home :p

  2. Sharmila
    July 29, 2011 at 3:43 AM

    Hi Shereen!

    Thanks for stopping by and for reading my work. I didn't know you liked writing, hope to read some of yours soon. PM me your blog address would love to read it! :)

  3. Shereen
    July 29, 2011 at 7:44 PM

    actually if you click at the picture of my cats you'll get to my blog.. It really is more like my musings.. no stories like yours. Still, have fun reading em! ;)

  4. Sharmila
    August 1, 2011 at 1:14 AM

    hey thanks, will be sure to check it out!

Leave a Reply

Search This Blog

Followers