Red Ribbons (Chapter Three)

Posted on | Friday, July 15, 2011 | No Comments


Chapter Three
 
During the drive home, they discussed the details of the case. They both agreed that the ex-boyfriend was their main (and only) suspect, given cat hairs had been found on the body and that he worked at a veterinary clinic. Then there was his alleged obsession with her.

There's still about an hour before office hours end, let's pay a visit to Nicholas Lim,” Lawrence said. Venkath wisely nodded his assent. He still believed that they were on the lookout for a serial killer, as much as his cousin believed otherwise.

The veterinary clinic was a white brick building badly in need of a coat of paint. The gate was rusty and had a broken hinge that rattled every time the gate was opened and closed. However, the grounds of the clinic were clean and the grass cut, which made the premises appear almost welcoming to patrons and their human owners. Inside, the clinic was white from floor to ceiling and had a strong medicinal smell about it. It was a small clinic with two examining rooms and a small waiting area for people and their pets. Dusty old airline magazines were strewn lazily on a wicker and glass table in a corner. A water cooler stood next to it.

Hello, how may I help you?” A wiry young man wearing thick-rimmed glasses appeared from one of the examining rooms. He wore a white collared t-shirt and faded blue jeans. On his feet a were pair of shiny brown loafers.

We're here to see Nicholas Lim,” Lawrence held up his police badge.

The young man smiled, an oily stretch of the lips that struck the men as smarmy. “Yes, that's me. What is this regarding?” he said politely, but he didn't fool Lawrence. This was their man.

I'm Inspector Lawrence from the Kuala Pilah branch and this is Dr. Venkath Das, the chief medical examiner at Kuala Pilah hospital. We're here to ask you some questions concerning Alicia Ling's death,” he said.

The oily smile disappeared and Nicholas Lim stared at them in shock, his face almost as white as his shirt.

You didn't know?” Lawrence asked him.

No, wh—what happened?” Nicholas Lim said, finally managing to speak.

She was found strangled this morning in the Kinta car park. When was the last time you saw her?” Lawrence asked.

Sunday morning. I had been having—problems—and Alicia offered to help. We met for brunch in Bangsar, at a Spanish bistro we used to frequent when we were dating. Alicia left around two in the afternoon,” Nicholas replied.

What kind of problems were you having?” Lawrence asked, raising an eyebrow. He had a feeling that they were of the illegal kind.

The young man’s face flamed red. “I-I rather not say,” he stammered slightly.

Lawrence’s expression darkened. He closed his notebook and looked steadily at Nicholas. “I don’t think you appreciate the seriousness of the situation, Mr. Lim. There’s a dead girl who had a restraining order against you. Things aren’t exactly looking up for you right now,” he said.

Nicholas paled. He ran a hand nervously through his hair. “All right, I’ll co-operate. I asked Alicia to lend me some money. She said she would help me, for old times’ sake,” he said.

Why was Alicia lending you money after slapping a restraining order on you?” Venkath asked.

The restraining order was her father’s idea. Alicia and I were still friends, although we had broken up. I admit I tried to convince her to get back together, but her father forbade her to see me again. She chose her family, but I didn’t resent her for it,” Nicholas explained.

Because you wanted her help?” Lawrence interjected.

It wasn’t like that,” Nicholas explained. “Alicia felt guilty because the restraining order led to my scholarship being cancelled. I didn’t have enough money to complete my final year at university. I can barely make ends meet as it is with two jobs. She felt it was her fault and said she would lend me the RM8,000 I needed. I promised I would pay her back after graduating,” he added.

Where was Alicia getting the money from?” Lawrence asked.

From her trust fund. Tell me, why would I hurt Alicia if she was helping me?” Nicholas asked, his eyes wide.

Lawrence and Venkath looked at each other. The young man was either innocent or a convincing actor. In either case, they didn’t have evidence to prove he had anything to do with Alicia’s death.

“Besides, you shouldn’t be speaking to me, Alicia’s current boyfriend could probably tell you more,” Nicholas added, not a little unhappily.

Who was she dating?” Venkath looked surprised.

I don’t know. She wouldn’t tell me anything beyond that she was dating a new guy. But she didn’t know that I’d seen them together once at the Purple Room, a club in KL. I was there with some friends, I’m sure they didn’t see me,” Nicholas said.

Did you get a good look at him?” Lawrence asked.

I tried to, but it was dark and smoky in the club. He was tall, around six feet and a bit thin, not her usual type. But I did notice one thing: he had a tattoo on his left shoulder.”

A tattoo? Could you describe it?”

I think it was a dragon. Yes, I’m sure it was,” Nicholas said.

Are you sure?” Lawrence said, staring intently at Nicholas’ face. But the other man looked him right in the eye as he spoke.

Yes. I wasn’t drinking, if that’s what you’re asking,” Nicholas replied, looking a little chuffed.

Yes, it was. Thank you for your time, here’s my card in case you remember anything else that’s helpful,” Lawrence said, handing Nicholas Lim his card.

Nicholas took it and pocketed it with a little nod. His expression was unreadable, but Lawrence and Venkath didn't miss the trembling of his hand as he took the card.

But one thing doesn't add up,” Venkath said, as Lawrence pulled out of the clinic driveway.

What's that?” Lawrence looked a little annoyed. He had always resented Venkath's uncanny ability to read his mind.

Nicholas' age. The murders in Penang and KL were a while back, he would have been barely a teenager when he began killing,” Venkath said.

Or he could've read about it in the newspapers back then, the details were all there, right down to the RM 1 note. Psychopaths today are much younger than what they used to be,” Lawrence said a little defensively. Venkath was probably right, but Lawrence didn't like his ideas shot down by a civilian, even if he was his cousin.

If he did kill the women in Penang and KL, he would've been around eighteen. Hardly the age that killers are mature, leaving behind no trace evidence or DNA. Plus he's a veterinary assistant; most psychopaths start off by killing or torturing animals as children or teens. I'm telling you cuz, you have the wrong man,” Venkath said, ignoring the tone of Lawrence's voice.

It doesn't matter whether he's innocent or not, right now we have no proof. A case against him would hold no water. Which leaves us at zero,” Lawrence sighed.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Search This Blog

Followers